Thursday, June 3, 2010

Announcing The Incognito Project

I'm about the embark on a year long endeavor. The Incognito Project. It's an Art Event in two parts. The first is a photo shoot event where I have invited people to my studio to share their alter egos with me and the world. I'll do a series of paintings to be presented in a gallery showing in 2011 in Birmingham, AL, USA. Specific date TBA.

The first painting of the series is a self portrait titled "The Stake-Out", 16x16, oil on panel. It's the artist as human observer, why the cigarette when I don't smoke? Every time I thought about this piece and my paintings- they are "slow painting" exactly like a stake-out where cigarettes and coffee are required. I've always been inspired by film noir and in this reality I'm a cross between the hard-boiled detective and a femme fatale.

I've thrilled at the prospect of the interaction this is going to involve. This project has been percolating for about 3 years and I have been doing Incognito Series work for about 7 years and this will take it to an entirely new level!

Here are some quotes by others on this theme:
“So tell me what I see, when I look in your eyes, is that you baby or just a brilliant disguise?” ~Bruce Spingsteen

“Meet me in Cognito, darling, sure some may think it’s rash, but you’ll look chic incognito, with your fake nose and Groucho mustache.” ~Tom Robbins

“The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.” ~Albert Einstein

“All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts…” ~William Shakespeare

“Well, we all have a face that we hide away forever, and we take them out and show ourselves when everyone has gone. Some are satin, some are steel, some are silk and some are leather. They're the faces of the stranger, but we love to try them on.” ~Billy Joel

“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.” ~Oscar Wilde
 
“Most painting in the European tradition was painting the mask. Modern art rejected all that. Our subject matter was the person behind the mask.” ~Robert Motherwell

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see them all completed, together in one show. It is really going to say something!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...